How’s a girl with Neiman Marcus taste but a Walmart budget supposed to get her fashion fix? Easy! Shop vintage.
I come from a family of bargain hunters. If you know me in real life you’ve probably heard the stories (or seen the FB updates) about the some of my amazing shopping adventures with my Mom and Sister (they usually sound something like this: “Just scored a Moshino blazer at Goodwill for 4 dollars” Friend: “How is that even possible?!“) I can’t explain it but the women in my family seem to have this innate skill for finding cool stuff for cheap. Between my hometown’s thriving thrift & vintage scene and my Mom & sister’s hand me downs, whenever I come home to visit I always bring an empty suitcase because I know I’ll be coming back to Toronto with lots of goodies.
My Mom and sister have amassed quite the collection of clothing over the years. They’ve finally decided to turn their treasure hunting skills into a business and open their own vintage store on Etsy. It’s called Ghost Club and I’m sure I’ll be mentioning it from time to time because I really want their business to be a success! Since I’ve been home in BC I’ve been helping them organize the store and shop for more stock. The problem with going on these treasure hunting missions is that I inevitably end up buying things for myself too. Since I had fun showing you guys what’s inside my purse, I thought I’d give you a glimpse into some of my favorite new additions to my closet.
(I’m no fashion blogger so in lieu of modeling them myself, I’ll let Judy & Francine the trusty Ghost Club mannequins do the honors!)
1. Adrienne Vittadini Oversize Silk Shirt ($6): This is one of my favorite shirts ever. I love the bright floral print and the uber soft, flowy silk. It looks cute worn un-tucked or knotted at the waist.
2. Nina Ricci Tomato colored silk top ($16): this top was a bit of a splurge but I fell in love with the color and the hand-sewn ruching. I wear this style of top often (either un-tucked over skinny pants or tucked into a high waisted pencil skirt) and thought the bright color would be a nice addition for spring.
3. Michael Kors shirt ($7): I don’t know about you guys but I have a major soft spot for anything safari inspired for spring… which could be why I love this cotton shirt so much. This shirt isn’t vintage but I did manage to pick it second hand, in like-new condition. It looks great with a pair of skinnies, crisp summer shorts or tucked into a pair of high waisted trouser jeans. The hat was purchased in Panama by my Dad’s friend.
4. Tracy Reese leatherrette dress ($20) I’ve always liked Reese’s girly, whimsical dresses but have never been able to afford any of her pieces…that is until I stumbled across this dress at a local vintage boutique. It’s made of white faux leather (!!!) and cotton which makes it a bit out of my normal comfort zone. When I put it on I’m not sure whether I should be on a safari or dancing in a White Snake video. Either way, it makes me feel totally bad-ass. I plan on wearing it with my nude high-heeled gladiator sandals.
5. Sequined silk tank ($6): When I stumbled across this lightly sequined top I instantly fell in love. It reminds me of 1920’s flapper dresses or something you might see Emily wearing on Cupcakes and Cashmere. These are the kind of sequins you could totally wear in the daytime. This top will definitely be in my suitcase when I go to Vegas in May.
6. Leopard print cardi ($5): I love animal print when it manages to be subtle! I especially adore the neutral colors in this sweater. It’s a nice piece to throw on because it goes with so much & doesn’t belong to any one season.
7. Marc by Marc Jacobs Sweatshirt ($ 9) : My work-wear is all about comfort and this shirt fits the bill perfectly. I enjoy Marc Jacobs quirky graphics and his knit wear is soooo soft. I wear this with skinny jeans when I’m sitting at my computer writing.
I’m really excited about my new spring finds & can’t wait to introduce them to the rest of my wardrobe that’s still in Toronto.
If you’re looking for some vintage finds, check out my family’s store!
Right now there’s mostly just shoes but new items will be added daily!
Do you have a favorite bargain find of your own?