Ok, so I’m not in love – but it is Friday! Since I haven’t done one of these kinds of posts in what feels like forever, I thought I would share with you some of the things I’m loving these days.
1. Orange is the New Black – I’m pretty sure saying you “hate Orange is the New Black” is going to become the next saying you “hate Arrested Development” – that is, if I could actually find someone who isn’t totally in love with this show – myself included. A few weeks ago I marathon watched the whole first season of Orange is the New Black and became completely obsessed. It’s so refreshing to find a show that is riveting, funny and has a collection of complex, strong female characters. If you haven’t watched it yet, do it. Is it time for season 2 yet?!
2. EOS Lipblam – I’m addicted lip-balm, like seriously addicted. I always have some in my purse and I keep a tube on my bedside table. While I was in Kelowna a few weeks ago, I ran out of my favourite Burt’s Bees lip balm. The grocery store near my grandma’s didn’t carry my usual kind, so instead I grabbed this EOS Organic Lip Balm. Not only does this stuff work really well, it’s also 95% organic, 100% natural, paraben and petrolatum free. I also love the quirky egg shape. When I showed my lip balm to my sister she responded:
“Oh, I thought that was just another one of your vibrators”
“Why would I bring a vibrator to Grandma’s house?!”
“I don’t know!”
File that under “things people say when you’re a sex blogger.”
3. Attachments – If you’re looking for a summer read in the form of a feel good love story with well-crafted, quirky, achingly human characters of both genders, Rainbow Rowell’s Attachments is the book for you. I couldn’t stop reading this story about love in the digital age. This sounds crazy, but when I finished the book, I actually missed the characters.
4. Blue Bella Basque Lingerie – When it comes to lingerie, lately I’ve been gravitating towards a lot of bright colours, ruffles, dramatic prints and of course, the colour pink. I think that’s why I’m so drawn to this classic black bustier set by BlueBella. It’s sexy and chic without being over-powering. Having tried BlueBella lingerie before, I really like their stuff. This piece has been added to my lingerie wish-list.
5. New Girl – Aside from my recent obsession with Orange is the New Black, I’ve noticed that a lot of the TV shows I watch involve a lot of…well, killing. From Pretty Little Liars (teens killing other teens) and Dexter (serial killer killing other serial killers) to my other favourite show appropriately titled The Killing, my TV preferences have been pretty dark as of late. When Netflix started recommending to me stuff like “Russia’s Toughest Prisons”, “Inside Death Row” and “Auschwitz: the Mini Series”, I knew it was time to lighten things up. Enter New Girl, starring Zooey Deschanel. I’m kind of late to the New Girl party, but the show is the perfect light-hearted antidote to the blood-bath that is my usual TV line up. The show is super cute and I find the friendships between Jess and her male roommates really endearing. Plus, I noticed there isn’t any murder…yet.
6. Watching documentaries on Netflix – Do you feel like your brain is turning into mush after streaming back to back episodes of that reality TV you secretly really, really like? Why not check out a documentary for a change? I love a good documentary and Netflix actually has a pretty good selection of them. The other night I watched The Lottery, a documentary about education reform in New York City – a subject I knew very little about. It was inspiring, heartbreaking and a definite must-see. I also really enjoyed The Queen of Versailles, The House I Live In and Detropia – all of which are available on Netflix.
7. Kombucha – I don’t know how this happened, but I’ve become hooked on Kombucha. The fizzy drink made of fermented tea, sounds disgusting no matter how you slice it, but is actually quite good once you get used to it’s unusual flavour. I really enjoy the MULTI-GREEN flavour because it includes Algae. Yes, you read right. When I tried to describe the taste to a friend I was like, “It’s like a mix of tea, juice, pop and beer with just a hint of vinegar taste.” My friend: “That sounds disgusting.” Me: “You get used to taste, until you no longer notice it.” Friend: “Kind of like bad champagne?” Me: “Yes, but bad champagne with actual health benefits.” With that said, it gives me a nice energy boost in the afternoons without a lot of sugar. Try it – you might grow to love it like I do, or at least figure out a better way to describe it.
What are you loving these days?